The coffee filter is an essential tool for any coffee connoisseur. Most paper coffee filters are single-use, so they typically do not need washing. However, reusable coffee filters are commonplace nowadays, and these are often found in modern coffee makers. There are reusable filters for drip coffee make as well, which is typically a metal coffee filter.
In this article, we'll show you how to properly clean a coffee filter with household cleaning staples like vinegar and baking soda. Cleaning your coffee maker is a great way to ensure you get better brews for your morning cup of joe!
How to Clean Coffee Filter: A Step-by-step Guide
Step 1: Remove the Reusable Coffee Filter or Filter Basket
The first step is to remove the reusable coffee filter. If you're using a coffee maker, carefully remove the filter basket once it has cooled down enough to handle. Remove the spent coffee grounds from the filter by tapping it upside down over the trash bin. Remove as much coffee grounds as possible.
Similarly, remove a reusable filter from your drip coffee maker, and clean out the leftover coffee grounds before washing it. It will help prevent clogs from forming in your sink, and will make it easier to clean your reusable coffee filter.
Step 2: Rinse the Filter
Rinse the filter with warm water to remove any excess coffee and grounds. Doing this will also allow you to clean your coffee filter better as the cleaning solution is able to penetrate through the mesh filter, and remove stains.
Step 3: Mix White Vinegar and Hot Water
Mix equal parts white vinegar and hot or warm water in a deep container. Add add in a few drops of mild dish soap, and stir well. Vinegar should loosen and lift stains out of the coffee filter, whether it is a mesh or metal coffee filter. Dish soap tackles coffee oils, and breaks them down while the warm water dissolves grime.
Step 4: Submerge and Soak the Filter
Let the coffee filter soak for at least 10 minutes, then use a soft brush to remove the loosened grime. Scrub gently in circular motions to remove the stains left by coffee grounds. Make sure to use a soft brush as some reusable coffee filters are made with fragile materials. Brush the inside and outside of a metal filter as well.
For particularly heavy stains, use a paste made of a baking soda and vinegar solution, and place it over the mesh of your coffee filter. Let the baking soda paste sit for 10 to 15 minutes, then use a soft brush to scrub the reusable filter clean.
Step 5: Wash and Dry Completely
Once you've removed the stains from your coffee filter, you can now wash the filter as you normally would. Let the filter air dry completely, or pat the mesh down with a soft cloth before placing it back into your coffee maker.
Tips on Maintaining Your Coffee Machine for a Better Brew
Stains and leftover coffee grounds can leave a stale taste in your fresh brew, which is why it is essential to clean your coffee machine on a routine basis. Hard water can also leave mineral stains inside the machine, which gives coffee a chalky taste. Here's how you can maintain the cleanliness of your coffee machine for a better brew:
- Descale your coffee maker. Most brands have descaling instruction indicated in the user's manual, and often sell separate descaling solutions for coffee machine maintenance. Descaling will remove grime and mineral buildup from inside the coffee machine, leading to a smoother brew.
- Clean your permanent coffee filter often. This will prevent stains from setting, and will keep your coffee fresh.
- Be careful when handling metal coffee filter baskets as these can get hot after brewing coffee. Let these cool down before cleaning them.
- If you have a filter basket in your coffee machine, you won't need to use a disposable coffee filter or a paper filter. Simply clean the filter basket with hot soapy water after every use, and you can use the basket again.
- Wash all removable components of the coffee machine after every use. This will keep your coffee maker clean.
Looking for a convenient way to keep your kitchen pristine? Check out our home cleaning services. Our professional cleaners will be able to get rid of the dust and grime in your kitchen, leaving you with a spotless space to cook, eat, and relax in.
Give us a call, or send us an email to get started on maintaining your household!